Employment at ABRAMS
ABRAMS seeks talented individuals with a strong interest in book publishing. Individuals must be able to take initiative, be a team player and have excellent communications skills, both oral and written. Our professional positions range from editorial, graphic design, sales, marketing and publicity to finance and information technology.
To apply for a position at ABRAMS, please complete the employment application by clicking the following link, http://www.abramsbooks.com/apply
ABRAMS is currently seeking to fill the following positions:
Associate Director, International Sales [ Apply ]
The Associate Director, International Sales is responsible for Abrams’ partnership with 2 key, high-volume export sales and marketing groups based in the UK and Australia. This role will oversee the sales goals and work with the management of sales and marketing groups responsible for sales of ABRAMS books in the United Kingdom, Europe, Scandinavia, Australia, and New Zealand across all channels and accounts.
The Associate Director will collaborate and work closely with 2 Managing Directors, acting as a liaison to ensure budgets and revenue goals are being met. They will develop a strategic partnership with both groups, and closely monitor ABRAMS sales in these international markets.
- Act as key resource for both UK and Australia rep groups and driving maximum revenue growth by providing all resources needed to achieve budgets.
- Analyze and create actionable strategy based on regular sales reporting from international markets.
- Organize internal information and communicate it seamlessly to each rep group.
- Work internally to develop and implement processes and strategies that will amplify sales in these markets.
- Oversee the planning and organization of the sales rep conference twice yearly.
- Attend international sales meetings, meet with key customers, and attend London and Frankfurt Book Fairs (when possible).
- 5-7 years sales experience within the publishing industry, including international experience.
- Excellent organizational skills, with a great emphasis on interpersonal communication and a collaborative mindset.
- Detail-oriented, with strong communication skills and excel proficiency – both data entry and spreadsheet formulation.
- Travel required, when safely possible.
National Accounts Sales Director [ Apply ]
Responsible for the sale of all titles published and distributed by Abrams Books to ReaderLink Distribution Services.
- Direct sales efforts for titles in all formats to the mass merchant channel, including both retail and wholesale accounts: Walmart, Target, Hudson and other airport stores, supermarket chains, and ReaderLink.
- Manage Wimpy Kid brand and help create innovative merchandising plans in conjunction with buyers and senior management.
- Analyze and share sales reporting and competitive success stories internally with sales management and publishers.
- Provide sales estimates and forecasting analysis to support inventory management of frontlist and backlist titles.
- Prepare for sales calls by gathering materials, creating presentations and spreadsheets, and researching titles and comparative sales.
- Maintain relationships with full account base.
- Manage all aspects of co-op promotions; negotiate co-op fees, manage co-op pool and analyze effectiveness of co-op expenditures.
- Process/track orders and manage inventory per account’s requests.
- Attend seasonal launch and sales meeting and participate in weekly sales staff and marketing meetings.
- Monitor and meet sales targets.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of sales experience in book publishing, retail merchandising, or other relevant industries
- Management/leadership experience preferred
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and proven ability to liaise with internal and external partners
- Detail oriented, with strong follow up and follow through skills
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office: Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook. Knowledge of Edelweiss and TMM a plus
- Comfort, ease and ability in presenting sales information in person, via video or on the phone
- Regular travel to Minneapolis and Chicago required
Senior Editor, Abrams Press and The Overlook Press [ Apply ]
The Senior Editor will be responsible for acquiring and editing books for the text (non-illustrated) adult imprints at Abrams, working with the editorial directors of Abrams Press and The Overlook Press to identify opportunities and appropriate titles for the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Acquire adult fiction for Overlook in both literary and commercial fiction, including titles at the nexus of the two. Debuts, high-end genre fiction, and new works by established writers are all in the mix.
- Acquire narrative non-fiction for Abrams Press on subjects that might include popular culture, sports, science and nature, current events, memoir, and biography.
- Develop 12 to 15 titles per year to contribute to both imprints.
- Responsibility for concept, content, and author relationships for a diverse list of books including:
- Run profit and loss statements, present titles at Editorial Meetings and Pub Board, negotiating deal terms, and managing project budgets in line with approved acquisition terms.
- Manage new titles through all stages of the editing process; collaborate with managing editorial, design, and production teams on schedules, formats, design, and production of publications.
- Prepare sales materials including fact sheets, catalogue copy, metadata research, and presenting at seasonal launch meetings. Working closely with publicity and marketing staff on promotional plans for acquired titles.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least five to seven years’ experience in an editorial capacity at an adult trade publishing house. Candidates with similar editorial experience in other media will also be considered.
- Strong acquisitions experience, proven sales record, keen understanding of the marketplace, and innovative development skills in both fiction and non-fiction.
- Broad general knowledge of and passion for at some or all of the subject areas above, with established relationships with writers and agents and the ability to conceive and bring in viable projects.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Detail oriented, able to work on several projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.